Edgar Allen Poe, “The Cask of Amontillado”
1. At the beginning of the story, Montresor identifies three criteria he believes are necessary for revenge to be achieved: He states that he must “not only punish, but punish with impunity”; he continues by saying that “a wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes its redresser”; he concludes with the belief that a wrong “is equally unredressed when the avenger fails to make himself felt as such to him who has done the wrong.” Taking all of these criteria into consideration, explain whether or not you think Montresor achieves his goal (that is, which of the criteria, if any, do you think he accomplishes).
2. How much time has passed between the killing of Fortunato and the telling of this story, and why is this significant? 3. Although he blamed it on the dampness of the catacombs, why do you think Montresor’s “heart grew sick”?
4. Based on what you know of his character, what do you think Fortunato is guilty of, if anything?
5. If it might have saved his life, why doesn’t Fortunato just admit to having insulted Montresor?
6. If Montresor wanted Fortunato to acknowledge that he was a victim of revenge, why doesn’t Montresor just tell Fortunato why this is all happening to him?
7. Identify the two images on the Montresor family coat of arms and explain what you believe to be the symbolic significance.
8. How is Fortunato dressed in the story which may tell the reader a lot about his personality and behavior?
9. After Montresor throws the torch into the one remaining opening in the wall, what is the only thing he hears from the other side of the wall, and why is this symbolic?
10. Do you believe Montresor is satisfied with himself at the end of the story?
Nathaniel Hawthorne, “Young Goodman Brown”
1. If we are to believe that Brown’s entire journey into the woods was a dream [“Had Goodman Brown fallen asleep in the forest, and only dreamed a wild dream of a witch-meeting? . . .”], and these experiences are only a product of his imagination, what was he supposed to learn from his experience?
2. What lessons are readers supposed to learn from Brown’s experience?
3. What role does religion play in Brown’s life before the “dream,” during the “dream,” and after he “wakes”?
4. Is Brown as much a hypocrite as he believes the Deacon to be at the story’s end? Why or why not?
5. Why doesn’t Brown remove himself from the church?
6. If Brown is so appalled at his wife’s apparent involvement, why doesn’t he divorce her?
7. Why is Brown’s journey described in the beginning as an “evil purpose”?
Kate Chopin, “Story of an Hour”
1. Why is the “joy” Mrs. Mallard is experiencing seemingly “monstrous”?
2. What is symbolic about her descriptions of the chair, the window, and the locked bedroom door?
3. What details about Mrs. Mallard’s marriage indicate the way(s) she felt toward her husband?
4. What details do we learn about Brently that indicate the type of person he was?
5. What is Mrs. Mallard’s opinion about people who behave with “good intentions”?
John Updike, “A&P”
1. What is Sammy’s judgment of the customers? The manager? Stokesie? The girls?
2. Why does Sammy think the world will be “hard” to him “hereafter”?
3. What does Sammy want us to believe was the reason he quit (his “explicit” goal)?
4. What are we ultimately led to believe is the real reason he quit (his “implied” goal)?
5. What does Sammy say that would indicate he knew exactly how things with the girls would turn out at the end?
6. Why does Sammy think it’s fortunate that this all took place during the summer season? What does this say about his character?
7. What other details are present which indicate Sammy is less concerned with the purpose of his behavior than he is with how people view his actions?
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Assignment Help has assembled a team of highly skilled writers with diverse experience in the online writing circles. Our aim is to become a one stop shop for all your Academic/ online writing. Check out below our amazing service!
At Assignment Help, we prioritize on all aspects that creates a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism, and conformance to guidelines. The principal purpose of essay writing is to present the author's evaluation concerning a singular subject about which they have made. Since Professionalism is the mother of every success, try our team of experienced writers in helping you complete your essays and other assignments.
You have been trying to join that prestigious institution you long yearned for, but the hurdle of an admission essay has become a stumbling block. We have your back, with our proven team that has gained invaluable experience over time, your chance of joining that institution is now! Just let us work on that essay.How do you write an admission essay? How do you begin the essay? For answers, try Quality Custom Writers Now!
Editing and Proofreading
Regardless of whether you're pleased with your composing abilities, it's never an impractical notion to have a second eye go through your work. The best editing services leaves no mistake untouched. We recognize the stuff needed to polish up a writing; as a component of our editing and proofreading, we'll change and refine your write up to guarantee it's amazing, and blunder free. Our group of expert editors will examine your work, giving an impeccable touch of English while ensuring your punctuation and sentence structures are top-notch.
We pride ourselves in having a team of clinical writers. The stringent and rigorous vetting process ensures that only the best persons for job. We hire qualified PhD and MA writers only. We equally offer our team of writers bonuses and incentives to motivate their working spirit in terms of delivering original, unique, and informative content. They are our resources drawn from diverse fields. Therefore your technical paper is in the right hands. Every paper is assessed and only the writers with the technical know-how in that field get to work on it.
College Essay Writing
If all along you have been looking for a trustworthy college essay service provider that provides superb academic papers at reasonable prices, then be glad that you search has ended with us. We are your best choice! Get high-quality college essay writing from our magnificent team of knowledgeable and dedicated writers right now!
Quality Assignment/Homework Help
We give the students premium quality assignments, without alarming them with plagiarism and referencing issues. We ensure that the assignments stick to the rules given by the tutors. We are specific about the deadlines you give us. We assure you that you will get your papers well in advance, knowing that you will review and return it if there are any changes, which should be incorporated.