4. Exchange Rate Effects on Borrowing Explain how the appreciation of the Japanese yen against the U.S. dollar would affect the return to a U. S. firm tha borrowed Japanese yen and used the proceeds for a U.S. project.
15. Evolution of Floating Rates Briefly describe the historical developments that led to floating exchange rates as of 1973.
18. Foreign Exchange You just came back from Canada, where the Canadian dollar was worth $.70. You still have C$200 from your trip and could exchange them for dollars at the airport, but the airport foreign exchange desk will only buy them for $.60. Next week, you will be going to Mexico and will need pesos. The airport foreign exchange desk will sell you pesos for $.10 per peso. You met a tourist at the airport who is from Mexico and is on his way to Canada. He is willing to buy your C$200 for 1,300 pesos. Should you accept the offer or cash the Canadian dollars in at the airport? Explain
22. International Financial Markets Walmart has established two retail outlets in the city of Shanzen, China, which has a population of 3.7 million. These outlets are massive and contain imports in addition to products purchased locally. As Walmart generates earnings beyond what it needs in Shanzen, it may remit those earnings back to the United States. Walmart is likely to build additional outlets in Shanzen or in other Chinese cities in the future. a. Explain how the Walmart outlets in China would use the spot market in foreign exchange. b. Explain how Walmart might use the international money markets when it is establishing other Walmart stores in Asia. c. Explain how Walmart could use the international bond market to finance the establishment of new outlets in foreign markets.
Chapter 4 Homework questions
4. Income Effects on Exchange Rates Assume that the U.S. income level rises at a much higher rate than does the Canadian income level. Other things being equal, how should this affect the (a) U.S. demand for Canadian dollars, (b) supply of Canadian dollars for sale, and (c) equilibrium value of the Canadian dollar
9. Interaction of Exchange Rates Assume that there are substantial capital flows among Canada, the United States, and Japan. If interest rates in Canada decline to a level below the U.S. interest rate, and inflationary expectations remain unchanged, how could this affect the value of the Canadian dollar against the U.S. dollar? How might this decline in Canada’s interest rates possibly affect the value of the Canadian dollar against the Japanese yen?
16. Economic Impact on Capital Flows How do you think the weaker U.S. economic conditions could affect capital flows? If capital flows are affected, how would this influence the value of the dollar (holding other factors constant)?
22. Relative Importance of Factors Affecting Exchange Rate Risk Assume that the level of capital flows between the United States and the country of Krendo is negligible (close to zero) and will continue to be negligible. There is a substantial amount of trade between the United States and the country of Krendo and no capital flows. How will high inflation and high interest rates affect the value of the kren (Krendo’s currency)? Explain.
Chapter 5 Homework questions
5. Effects of a Forward Contract How can a forward contract backfire
7. Speculating with Currency Options When should a speculator purchase a call option on Australian dollars? When should a speculator purchase a put option on Australian dollars
15. Speculating with Currency Futures Assume that the euro’s spot rate has moved in cycles over time. How might you try to use futures contracts on euros to capitalize on this tendency? How could you determine whether such a strategy would have been profitable in previous periods?
17. Price Movements of Currency Futures Assume that on November 1, the spot rate of the British pound was $1.58 and the price on a December futures contract was $1.59. Assume that the pound depreciated during November so that by November 30 it was worth $1.51. a. What do you think happened to the futures price over the month of November? Why? b. If you had known that this would occur, would you have purchased or sold a December futures contract in pounds on November 1? Explain.
25. Estimating Profits from Currency Futures and Options One year ago, you sold a put option on 100,000 euros with an expiration date of 1 year. You received a premium on the put option of $.04 per unit. The exercise price was $1.22. Assume that 1 year ago, the spot rate of the euro was $1.20, the 1-year forward rate exhibited a discount of 2 percent, and the 1-year futures price was the same as the 1-year forward rate. From 1 year ago to today, the euro depreciated against the dollar by 4 percent. Today the put option will be exercised (if it is feasible for the buyer to do so). a. Determine the total dollar amount of your profit or loss from your position in the put option. b. Now assume that instead of taking a position in the put option 1 year ago, you sold a futures contract on 100,000 euros with a settlement date of 1 year. Determine the total dollar amount of your profit or loss.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Assignment Help has assembled a team of highly skilled writers with diverse experience in the online writing circles. Our aim is to become a one stop shop for all your Academic/ online writing. Check out below our amazing service!
At Assignment Help, we prioritize on all aspects that creates a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism, and conformance to guidelines. The principal purpose of essay writing is to present the author's evaluation concerning a singular subject about which they have made. Since Professionalism is the mother of every success, try our team of experienced writers in helping you complete your essays and other assignments.
You have been trying to join that prestigious institution you long yearned for, but the hurdle of an admission essay has become a stumbling block. We have your back, with our proven team that has gained invaluable experience over time, your chance of joining that institution is now! Just let us work on that essay.How do you write an admission essay? How do you begin the essay? For answers, try Quality Custom Writers Now!
Editing and Proofreading
Regardless of whether you're pleased with your composing abilities, it's never an impractical notion to have a second eye go through your work. The best editing services leaves no mistake untouched. We recognize the stuff needed to polish up a writing; as a component of our editing and proofreading, we'll change and refine your write up to guarantee it's amazing, and blunder free. Our group of expert editors will examine your work, giving an impeccable touch of English while ensuring your punctuation and sentence structures are top-notch.
We pride ourselves in having a team of clinical writers. The stringent and rigorous vetting process ensures that only the best persons for job. We hire qualified PhD and MA writers only. We equally offer our team of writers bonuses and incentives to motivate their working spirit in terms of delivering original, unique, and informative content. They are our resources drawn from diverse fields. Therefore your technical paper is in the right hands. Every paper is assessed and only the writers with the technical know-how in that field get to work on it.
College Essay Writing
If all along you have been looking for a trustworthy college essay service provider that provides superb academic papers at reasonable prices, then be glad that you search has ended with us. We are your best choice! Get high-quality college essay writing from our magnificent team of knowledgeable and dedicated writers right now!
Quality Assignment/Homework Help
We give the students premium quality assignments, without alarming them with plagiarism and referencing issues. We ensure that the assignments stick to the rules given by the tutors. We are specific about the deadlines you give us. We assure you that you will get your papers well in advance, knowing that you will review and return it if there are any changes, which should be incorporated.